Reports to the Chief Nursing Officer and in collaboration with medical staff leadership, is
accountable for the day-to-day inpatient nursing operations and oversight of nursing professional practice. Accountable for ensuring that all regulatory and accrediting standards are fully implemented, as defined by the Chief Nursing Officer.
In collaboration with physician and hospital leadership, the ACNO will identify priority outcome opportunities, coordinate the design and implementation of appropriate tools to measure and assess patient throughput, safety, quality, and outcomes, and engage in performance improvement activities to achieve organizational goals.
- The ACNO will identify areas of potential care redesign and will lead initiatives to meet objectives of improved efficiencies, effectiveness, and patient experience.
- The ACNO leads the administrative oversight of the inpatient nursing operations and provides professional guidance and mentoring to nursing. Collaborate to ensure adequate financial resources are made available to fulfill vision of excellence for nursing operations. Establish and maintain effective internal controls. Recognize and seize opportunities to improve fiscal and operational performance of nursing operations.
- Provide administrative direction to management staff within areas of responsibility including supporting plan development, priority-setting, decision-making, and professional development.
- The ACNO will lead efforts to ensure the most effective clinical quality and safety infrastructures and processes are in place. Develop integrated systems that support and continuously improve the patient experience. Oversee the development, management, and setting of financial targets.
- Serve as role model and resource for professional colleagues. Participate in leadership activities such as committees, professional organizations, publishing, teaching and research.
- Maintain compliance with all relevant legislative and regulatory rules and requirements established by state and federal agencies as well as those of voluntary accrediting bodies to ensure continued compliance as well as the American Nurses Association (ANA) standards of nursing practice. Demonstrate a high level of responsibility, ethical practice, sensitivity to a diverse patient population and adherence to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Support the CNO in the planning, establishment and implementation of comparable standards of nursing practice and care throughout the hospital; evaluate outcomes and quality of nursing practice and availability of resources
- Lead change initiatives and operational enhancements including implementation, communication, and coordination plans related thereto:
- Oversees and orchestrates external patient transfers and intra-hospital patient movement. Ensures census goals are met by working with interdisciplinary teams and entitles to coordinate patient flow.
- Evaluate statistics indicating patient flow, hospital discharges, throughput performances, and potential issues and reports to hospital leadership.
- Ensures comprehensive gathering and documentation of patient data which will enhance appropriate placement within the hospital.
- Communicates daily “census alerts” related to bed shortages.
- Create an environment that supports the advancement of professional nursing and advanced practice and the development of a robust nursing workforce to insure the ability to meet future needs for professional nurses.
- Initiate, develop and implement collaborative activities between nursing and other health care disciplines and departments to achieve and implement care redesign initiatives. Demonstrate a commitment to high quality, safe patient care and work environments. Build strong performance around quality and patient experience and continually drive for improvement
- Presents a courteous and helpful demeanor, appropriate for age, to all patients, visitors, other UofL Hospital employees/medical staff members, or any other person an employee encounters while representing UofL Hospital.
- Develops, recommends, implements and monitors contracts for services.
- Assures adequate and competent staffing support to nursing services.
- Maintain interdisciplinary collaborative relationships with physician, nurses, nursing leadership, clinical units, and hospital administration.
- Provide assistance with other projects as delegated by the CNO.
- Performs duties as administrator on call as needed.
- Participates in community activities on behalf of the hospital. Assists in community health events and education as needed.