The IT Service Desk Technician’s role is to ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests. Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
- Field incoming help requests from end users via both telephone and e-mail in a courteous manner.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from service desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the service desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Install anti-virus software.
- Performing preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- College diploma or associate degree in Systems Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field and 1 years of related experience is preferred, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- A+ or equivalent is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills required.
- Must project a professional company image through in-person and phone interactions at all times.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of and experience with desktop hardware.
- Knowledgeable of network and PC operating systems.
- Able to develop and interpret certain technical documentation for training and end user procedures.
- Moderate hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products, email systems, and other "off-the-shelf" business applications.
- Ability to deploy and maintain network printing solutions.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Provide after-hours operations and on-call support.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Candidates upon hire will complete an electronic I-9 verification.
- Only those candidates whose experience best meets our requirements will be contacted.
- University of Louisville Physicians is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Current UofL Physicians employees must follow the UofL Physicians Internal Transfer Policy.